As every year, the new GeoDict release will be presented at the 9th GeoDict User Meeting in September 2020. The new release will include the central developments launched with GeoDict 2021 together with the presentation of vital features currently available in GeoDict and successfully applied by the users' community. The yearly GeoDict User Meeting is the source of valuable inspiration for the use of GeoDict in material analysis and development. This year, the planned topics of the GeoDict User Meeting 2020 are:
Electrochemistry - Battery and Fuel Cell research
Analysis of materials for battery and fuel cell research
- Highlights in simulations for fuel cell and Li-ion battery research.
- Analysis of electrode material through a guided standardized workflow.
- The challenges and new possibilities to simulate battery charging.
Advanced assessment and optimization of battery performance and lifetime with GeoDict
- In the structur.E project, GeoDict is developed and used by Volkswagen, M2M, and other partners to optimize the anode microstructure for fast charging.
- In the SOLVED! project, M2M cooperates with the ETH MaDE group to enable the simulation of battery degradation due to volumetric changes on the microscale.
- These and other projects contribute to developing GeoDict's capabilities for advanced battery performance and lifetime simulations, including cycling protocols, SEI formation, Li-plating and structural changes.
Faster and more accurate simulations in BatteryDict, the GeoDict module dedicated to battery research
- BatteryDict now includes the LIR solver, the fastest and memory efficient flow and conduction solver, to simulate charging and discharging of batteries.
- Increased accuracy of simulations by modelling the binder, that links the battery's active materials with the current collector, as porous material that is partially filled with electrolyte.
- Improved BatteryDict graphical user interface: simple and straightforward workflow of designing, analyzing, and charging of batteries.
Modeling and simulation of filter media and filter elements at different scales
- New features of GeoDict 2021 relevant for filtration applications.
- Validation of the newly implemented slip boundary condition for nanofibers by comparison with experimental data.
- Review of highlight simulation features making GeoDict indispensable for Research & Development of filtration processes.
Simulation of catalysts from nano to micro to macro in AddiDict, the GeoDict module developed for the simulation of adsorption and diffusion processes
- Diffusion with short-time adsorption on surfaces.
- Simulation of 1st order chemical reactions that reproduce conditions such as in car exhaust catalyst systems.
- Molecule modeling in the nanoscale thanks to the simulation of Knudsen flow and slip-flow (Knudsen number between 0.01 and 10).
Material Research & Development
Digital design of foams, composites, and ceramics with GeoDict 2021
- New features and improvements in characterization of mechanical properties using the ElastoDict module.
- Advancements and brand-new developments to generate accurate 3D structure models of foams and fiber-reinforced materials.
- Inspiration and new ideas through examples of GeoDict for the modeling and simulation of foams, ceramics, and composites.
Image Analysis - Image Processing
Image processing and analysis with GeoDict2021
- Overview of the image processing capabilities of GeoDict.
- Application of specific image filters and visualization.
- Advanced multiphase segmentation and AI-based segmentation.
- Overview of the image analysis capabilities of GeoDict.
- Analysis of object size distributions, such as pore size distributions.
- Fiber and grain identification and analysis in 3D microstructures.
- Advanced image analysis features.
Innovations, developments, and improvements for simulations with GeoDict2021
- The fast and memory efficient battery solver (LIR in BatteryDict).
- Improved 2-phase flow with forced imbibition, mixed wettability & constant flow rate.
- GeoDict as Image Processing & Analysis Tool.
- Training your own AI model.
Train your own network: Custom machine-learning based segmentation
- Identification and removal of binder material in NMC cathode CT scans as application example with following workflow:
- Generating training data using GeoDict
- Training your own neural network using FiberFind-AI
- Evaluating the trained neural network on validation data
- Applying the network to a segmented, real CT scan of a NMC cathode
- Removing identified binder from structure
- Analyzing statistics of the remaining grains using GrainFind
Making great images and animations with GeoDict 2021
- Better understanding of microstructures through visualization
- Closer examination of results in the improved 2D view
- Creating eye-catching videos from simulations