The FilterDict®-Media module can determine:
- Initial Filter Efficiency:
FilterDict determines the filter efficiency and most penetrating particle size (MPPS) of a filter medium by tracking particles through a 3D filter structure.
The simulation of the particle movement can include interception, inertial impaction, Brownian motion and electrostatic attraction. Various physical models are available to model the contact of a particle with the filter medium (Caught on first touch, Van der Waals forces / Hamaker constant, Sieving) and allow to model different filtration regimes.
User defined functions allow full control of these model parameters.
Initial Pressure Drop:
Using the flow solvers from the FlowDict module, FilterDict determines the initial pressure drop over the filter media. Fast flow rates are modeled with the Navier-Stokes, slow flow rates with Stokes equation.
- Filter Life Time and Capacity:
FilterDict can simulate the clogging of a filter in a Single Pass or Multi Pass experiment. Pressure drop evolution over time and the dust holding capacity is determined. The simulation covers the full range from depth to cake filtration.
With the FilterDict® module, filter efficiency computations requiring a single flow field computation can be achieved for realistic nonwoven models (300 x 300 x 600 computational cells) in a few hours. Filter life time simulations may take several days due to the need for re-computing the flow fields.
The prediction of filter efficiency and pressure drop evolution by FilterDict has been extensively validated in a variety of industrial and scientific research projects.
The FilterDict predictions agree with measurements to within 10-20%.
FilterDict is the only software on the market providing this functionality on standard hardware (16GB 64bit Windows or Linux computers).
FilterDict® is a registered trademark of Math2Market® GmbH.
Filter lifetime simulation in the air filter medium
Simulation of filter lifetime in the oil filter medium
The FilterDict®-Media is particularly well suited to:
- Simulate aerosol filtration in a nonwoven filter.
- Simulate soot filtration in a diesel particulate filter.
- Simulate an oil filtration multi-pass test bench.
- Simulate micronic particle filtration and clogging phenomena in microfluidic devices.
- The GeoDict Base package is needed for basic functionality.
- FilterDict-Media works on 3D (micro-) structure models that can either be a segmented 3D image (microCT-scan, FIB-SEM) imported with ImportGeo-VOL or a 3D structure model created with one of the GeoDict modules for Digital Material Design, e.g. FiberGeo for nonwovens, GrainGeo for granular or sintered structure models or sphere-packings, or FoamGeo for foams.
- FilterDict-Media needs the solvers of FlowDict for computing flow fields as well as the pressure drops or mean velocities.