The MatDict module can determine:
- Structure information:
Porosity, solid volume fraction (SVF), the number of GAD objects, density, mass and grammage can be determined in all three spatial directions. The values are the average for the entire material(s) inside the bounding box. The individual solid volume fraction (SVF) of all materials can be found as well.
- Connected components:
This method analyzes the voxel to voxel relations of the solid material and defines the components that built up the solid fraction, resulting in information about the number of defined components (material and background), the mean number of components per 2D slice in each spatial direction and their size with respect to volume visualized as a histogram.
After determining the solid volume fraction (SVF) in the different spatial directions and measuring the material thickness, the SVF is computed in the plane normal to the direction of interest. The average value for each plane is reported in 1D Statistics.
The algorithm calculates the distribution of grammage, solid volume fraction (SVF) and the number of objects in each plane to the direction of interest. Every pixel in this plane is calculated by averaging the respective property in the direction of interest.
- Analyze Objects:
The algorithm studies GeoDict Analytic Data (GAD) to obtain the total number of GAD objects, the number of overlap objects, the number of objects, the overlap volume percentage, the total number of contacts, the mean coordination number and the individual volume of each component. Histograms for object volume and contact area are provided.
- GAD-Objects Orientation:
This analysis provides the direction tensor and anisotropy for individual classes of GAD objects.
The algorithm computes an eroded version of the objects that form the solid materials in the structure. It is particularly suitable for structures containing straight or curved fibers of circular and ellipsoidal cross-section.
Examples of MatDict applications
Among many other applications, MatDict can be used to:
- determine the individual and average coordination numbers of e.g. grains in rocks
- characterize the grammage of new designed filters
- perform connectivity checks on the material of interest by identifying the number of connected components
- characterize materials which are used in batteries (anode and cathode).
Visualization of grammage values computed across the filter media model with the 2D-Statistics option of the MatDict module
Display of the orientation of fibers, in relation to the Phi Euler angle in the filter media model, computed with the Analyze Objects option of the MatDict module
Additional modules needed?
- The GeoDict Base package is needed for basic functionality.
- MatDict works on 3D (micro-)structure models that can either be a segmented 3D image (CT-scan, microCT-scan, FIB-SEM) imported with ImportGeo-VOL, or a 3D structure model created with one of the GeoDict modules for Digital Material Design, e.g. FiberGeo for nonwovens, GrainGeo for granular or sintered structure models or sphere-packings, or FoamGeo for foams.